Homemade Chicken and Dumplings have always been a classic comfort food. This recipe, which features easy drop dumplings is the best recipe for when you want a hearty chicken stew in half of the time of traditional recipes.
For the Chicken Stew Recipe
- 2 – 32 ounce cartons of chicken broth
- 1 pound of cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 1 cup sliced, diced, or matchstick carrots
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend of your choice (Herbs de Provence and Italian Seasoning are my go-to’s)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Dumpling Recipe
- 2 cups Original Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 TBSP dried parsley
- 1 egg
I keep ziplock bags of Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken in the freezer just for easy recipes like this. This recipe is also a great way to use up leftover chicken.
- Begin by placing the broth, chicken, carrots, seasoning, salt, and pepper into a large dutch oven or stockpot. Heat the stew over medium high heat until just boiling.
- Meanwhile, while the chicken soup is heating, begin preparing the dumplings. Place the Bisquick, parsley, garlic powder, milk, and egg in a medium bowl. Mix the dough together using either a fork or pastry blender until everything is combined. You’ll be left with a sticky ball of dough when you’re done.
- Next, grab about a one-inch ball of the dumpling batter and gently drop dumpling dough into the boiling chicken stew. Repeat this process until you’re out of dough. (You’ll get roughly 11-12 dumplings). Turn the burner down to low heat and allow the chicken and dumplings to cook for 10 minutes. (The dumplings should stay at the surface of the stew while they cook.)
- As a last step, cover the chicken and dumpling stew and allow to cook for another 15 minutes.
Divide the soup up into bowls and serve with bread or a simple side salad for a complete meal.
Keywords: Classic Comfort Food, Chicken and Dumplings, Soup, Stew, Quick, Easy