Hungarian Chicken Paprikash Soup is the perfect comfort food meal. Made with shredded chicken, sour cream, and filled with dumplings (spaetzle), it’s hard to resist this recipe combination. And, because it can be made in just 30 minutes, it’s an easy weeknight meal idea.
Begin by melting your butter in a dutch oven or other large (at least 3 quarts) pot over medium heat.
Toss in the diced onions and allow to cook until soft and translucent. Add in the minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Next, stir in the paprika, seasoning salt, and flour, coating the onions and garlic, and allow to cook for about 1 minute.
- Next, pour in the chicken broth and stir until the flour and paprika are absorbed by the broth. Add in the shredded chicken and allow the soup to simmer for 15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add the spaetzle to the pot. Allow the paprikash soup to simmer for another 2-3 minutes until the spaetzle is heated.
- Once the spaetzle is heated, remove the pot from the burner and quickly stir in the sour cream until dissolved.
- If you are using light sour cream, you will see a few white spots in your soup, where the sour cream did not completely dissolve. I’m sure there’s some science behind this, but the soup still tastes AMAZING and it saves a few calories.
If you are using light sour cream, which I often do, you will see a few white spots in your soup, where the sour cream did not completely dissolve. I’m sure there’s some science behind this, but the soup still tastes AMAZING and it saves a few calories.
Keywords: Easy Chicken Paprikash Soup with dumplings (spaetzle)