Garlic Scape is a Farmer’s Market find that plays a starring role in this Garlic Scape Pesto! Fresh, healthy, and light, it’s perfect with pasta or zucchini noodles. A fast and easy way to get veggies into your diet!
- 10 to 12 large garlic scapes (bulb removed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/2 to 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 grated Parmesan Cheese (the stuff in the green can)
- 1/2 tsp salt
My family really loves basil, so sometimes I’ll add a cup of lightly packed basil leaves to the mixture.
I’m sure that you can use any other herb that your family loves as well. If you choose not to use any additional bulky herbs, you will probably use closer to 1/2 cup of olive oil because there are not as many greens to incorporate.
If you really love nuts in your pesto, feel free to add 1/2 a cup of walnuts or pine nuts. One of the really great things about pesto is that you can totally customize it to make it your own special recipe!
- Simply gather the ingredients and throw the garlic scapes and salt into the food processor. (This is where you’d also add the basil or any other herbs you choose to the food processor.)
- Start the food processor, adding the oil slowly until the pesto reaches your desired consistency. Remember, you may not need to use the entire cup of olive oil. What you’re looking for is a smooth paste texture.
- Once you’re done pulsing your ingredients, stop the food processor and use a rubber spatula to scrape everything off the sides.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese until it is completely incorporated into the pesto.
- You can store in in the fridge for a couple of weeks and use as much or as little as you like to add flavor to your dishes.
Keywords: Farmer's Market Garlic Scape Basil Pesto