This chicken is incredibly moist and juicy. Literally the best whole chicken you’ll ever make, all thanks to your Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker!
Rule of thumb – cook the whole chicken 6 minutes for every pound, and then add an addtional 3-4 minutes to the time for good measure!
- Whole Chicken – size will vary, just make sure that it fits in your instant pot. This recipe was tested using a 4 lb chicken in an 8-quart Instant Pot.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- First, mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and 2 tbsp of oil together in a small bowl.
- Next, rub half of the seasoning mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Turn on the “brown/saute” feature on your Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker. Carefully add one tsp of oil to the Instant Pot and allow it to heat up for about 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken into your pre-heated cooker, breast side down for 4-5 minutes, allowing the skin to get crispy. While the chicken is in the cooker, rub the remaining spice mixture over the bottom of the chicken.
- Using a large pair of tongs, carefully flip the chicken over to the other side and allow the bottom to crisp for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a large platter.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Place metal instant pot trivet into the pot and carefully place your chicken on the trivet.
- Next, secure the lid on the instant pot and make sure that it is locked in place.
- Using whatever settings your machine designates for meat, set the timer for the appropriate amount of time, depending upon the size of your chicken:
- 3 pounds: 18 minutes
- 4 pounds: 24 minutes
- 5 pounds: 30 minutes
- For every additional pound add 6 minutes (or 3 minutes for every half pound) to the total cooking time
- Once the cooking time is up, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for about 15 minutes (you can go longer if you prefer) before manually releasing the pressure valve.
- Very carefully remove chicken to a platter. It will be very tender and likely to begin falling apart!
Keywords: Instant Pot Whole Chicken, rotisserie chicken, whole chicken instant pot