Kid-friendly/kid-favorite One-Skillet Southwest Chicken and Rice Bowls are perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal. This filling main dish is packed with southwest flavors and is ready in just 30 minutes!
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain or jasmine rice
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked or shredded chicken
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- Add the olive oil to a large non-stick skillet (this Staub pan is my go-to for dishes like this!) and heat over medium heat until warm.
- Next, add the pepper and onions and saute for approximately 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Next, stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the rice, broth, and cumin and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer until the rice is tender. (This should take about 15 minutes but keep an eye on it to make sure you do not burn the rice.)
- Next, stir in the remaining ingredients, put the cover back on, and allow it to cook until everything is completely heated.
Keywords: one-skillet, one-dish, southwest chicken and rice bowl, under 30 minute easy meal idea