Quick & Easy Carolina Coleslaw is mayonnaise-free and pairs perfectly with all your barbeque recipes. Serve it alongside burger, wings, steak, and all your other potluck and party favorites!
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small (or ½ medium) red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 4 large kale leaves, stalk removed and cut into thin ribbons
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ½ cup of vegetable or olive oil
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- Begin by adding the cabbage, red onion, white onion, carrots, and kale to a large bowl. Season the veggie with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, toss everything together until the salad is mixed.
- Now, place the vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and turn the burner to medium heat.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- Once the sugar has dissolved, remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the oil, Dijon mustard, and celery seeds.
- While the dressing is still warm, pour it over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat the salad mixture completely.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least two hours, to allow the flavors to mingle.
A quick tip with the kale: if the leaves are tough, rub them with a little bit of olive oil before you slice them. The olive oil will tenderize the leaves a bit.
Keywords: quick easy Carolina Coleslaw Recipe, mayonnaise free