This Instant Pot Pepper Steak Recipe is the perfect combination of tender beef, peppers, onion, and a rich savory sauce. It’s a quick meal with only a handful of ingredients your entire family will love. This popular Chinese American dish is always a dinner time hit.
- 1 ½ pounds of top round steak or flank steak, or sirloin steak (cut into thin strips)
- 2 bell peppers (you can use green bell pepper, red bell pepper, or a combination of both, sliced)
- 1 medium white onion (sliced)
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- Optional: hot cooked white rice, brown rice, noodles, cauliflower rice, green onions, or sesame seeds for serving.
- First, place the beef, seasonings, brown sugar, soy sauce, and beef broth in the Instant Pot. Stir everything together until it’s combined and the beef strips are completely coated.
- Next, place the Instant Pot lid and make sure it’s sealed. Set your Instant Pot on high pressure and set the cook time to 10 minutes.
- When the cooking time is done, do a quick pressure release.
- Now, remove the lid and add the peppers and onions. Replace the lid and, keeping the Instant Pot on high pressure, set the cook timer for 2 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, perform a quick release.
- Finally, remove the lid.
- In a small jar, mix cornstarch and water. Next, close the lid tightly and shake until it’s totally combined into a thick mixture. (You can also do this in a small bowl with a whisk, but I’ve found that giving it a few good shakes in a tightly sealed mason jar always gives me the best results).
- Select the saute setting on your Instant Pot.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into your pressure cooker and gently stir it into the rest of the liquid.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and allow it to boil for 3-5 minutes until the sauce in the pot thickens.
Keywords: easy instant pot beef pepper steak, quick