This Spicy Cucumber Salad is the BEST side salad! It’s quick and easy to make, and the rice vinegar gives it an Asian flair. It’s a simple healthy recipe that pairs well with almost any main dish.
- One large English cucumber
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
Step One – Prepare the Veggies
- Slice the cucumber into matchstick-like pieces and finely chop the onion. (If you have a food chopper, this is the time to use it.)
- Seed the jalapeno and finely chop half of it, saving the other half for another use. (Be super careful and make sure to NOT touch your face (especially your eyes!) after handling the jalapeno.)
- Place all of the cut-up vegetables into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the cilantro to the bowl
- Sprinkle the sugar over the veggies. Next, pour the rice vinegar into the bowl and stir everything together really well. You want to make sure that the vegetables are completely covered by the vinegar and the sugar is well dispersed and dissolved.
- Let the salad marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so before serving. The longer you allow it to marinate, the spicier it will be.
Keywords: spicy cucumber salad, matchstick, easy side salad, side dish