(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.)
(You can have this satisfying easy Salisbury Steak Recipe on the table in 20 minutes.
Comforting and filling, I’m certain it will become one of your most requested recipes)
Some Days Were Made for Comfort Food
Walking out to the car yesterday morning, my son commented that the air “smelled like spring”. And it did, the sun was starting to make its debut, the weather was balmy, it was one of those rare “spring like” November mornings. By the time I was driving him home from school that afternoon, it was sleeting. Welcome to the Midwest…
When the weather throws those types of curveballs, the only things I can think about are warm blankets, steaming cups of tea, and comfort food. And while warm soups are often my “go-tos” on days like these, some days call for something a little more hearty.
When I used to hear “Salisbury Steak” I would shudder, remember those pre-formed patties from cateria days past. That was until I learned what “Real Salisbury Steak” was.
These hearty patties, smothered in an onion-rich gravy are comfort food at its best. And, by using an onion soup mix instead of the traditional method of caramelizing onions, you can have this meal on the table in 20 minutes. This means that, even if you are running from work, to kids activities, with homework in-between, you can still enjoy a comforting sit down meal with your family.
What Pairs Best with Salisbury Steak?
This Salisbury Steak recipe is amazing along side mashed potatoes and buttered green peas. In order to move dinner prep along, I usually make these Idahoan Instant Mashed Potatoes (no shame!) I follow the directions using real butter and whole milk and I’ve never heard a single complaint. Smothered in this gravy, they are absolutely delicious.
But How Does It Stack Up Against the School Lunch Version?
Still, I wondered if my memory of that unappetizing salisbury steak from my childhood was a bit unfair. I got my answer one day when my daughter got home from school.
“How was lunch today?” I asked.
She wrinkled her nose. “It was salisbury steak day.” I held my breath. “But they have no idea what real salisbury steak is. Can we have your salisbury steak for dinner this week?”
Forget what you remember from your childhood because this combination of real salisbury steak and mashed potatoes is definitely a winner.
The ultimate in comfort food, this filling Salisbury Steak can be ready in just 20 minutes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup and dip mix
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp corn starch + 1-2 tsp water (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for salisbury steak patties
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp of the beefy onion soup and dip mix, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp ketchup, salt & pepper, and knead with your hands until completely mixed.
- Divide the meat mixture int 4 patties and then drag fork across the top of each to make “steak like” lines.
- Fry the patties in a skillet over medium high heat, browning both sides and ensuring that no pink remains in the middle. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Directions for gravy
- Discard any excess grease from the pan you cooked the hamburger patties in.
- Add water and remaining beefy onion soup and dip mix to pan, stirring until completely combined, making sure to scrape any browned bits from the steak patties up as you go.
- Add remaining Worcestershire sauce and ketchup to liquid and bring to a simmer.
- If desired, in a separate bowl, mix 1 tsp corn starch with 1-2 tsp of water to make a thin paste. Stir into the gravy mixture and continue to simmer until thickened. Salt and pepper to taste.
Return the hamburger patties to the pan, covering with gravy, and let simmer for a few more minutes, until the patties have reheated.
Keywords: Easy Salisbury Steak Recipe