(Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.)
Easily make this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe. Pressure cooking delivers a simple, delicious, and moist chicken that your family will love.
Is Roasting a Chicken Really Worth the Effort?
A roasted whole chicken, surrounded by piles of mashed potatoes and steaming ladles full of gravy is the iconic Sunday night dinner. Practically the definition of comfort food.
But, does it ever really live up to the hyppe?
In total transparency, a whole roasted chicken has never come out of the oven in my house that lived up to the time and effort it took to prepare. They are either dry or bland or both.
And, when I can pick up a perfect rotisserie chicken for $6 at my local grocery store, why try to beat that?
The Whole Chicken that Made Me Want to Try Again
Typically, I wouldn’t. I am totally willing to let the grocery store win. But, this weekend, I found myself staring the fresh, organic, whole chicken that was included in my CSA bag.
Fresh. Organic. Whole chicken raised within 70 miles of my house. It seemed wrong to stuff it in the back of my freezer and forget about it.
The Recipe That Converted Me
So, I decided to consult the directions for cooking a whole chicken in my electric pressure cooker. And then, taking my fear of dry chicken into account, I upped both the amount of broth called for and the cooking time.
The results were AMaaaazing! This chicken was moist, fall off the bone deliciousness. I’ve got a completely new outlook on whole chicken now. And, with the leftovers, I threw together these BBQ Chicken Pizzas the next night!
A Few Tips
- Better than Bouillon is my favorite way to create a cooking broth and I always have chicken, beef, and lobster (perfect for any seafood base) on hand. It’s so easy to mix up a cup or two instead of opening a container of broth.
- Do not buy it on Amazon. It’s much cheaper in your grocery store, I just wanted to give you a link to see a picture, if you’ve never heard of this amazing stuff.
- If you want to make a quick gravy, this one over at Genius Kitchen is my favorite.
- Just use 2 1/2 cups of the broth/drippings combo left over in your Instant Pot and you’ll have an a pan full of delicious, homemade gravy in about 5 minutes.
Make this AMAZINGLY Moist Rotisserie Style Chicken at Home Tonight!
This chicken is incredibly moist and juicy. Literally the best whole chicken you’ll ever make, all thanks to your Instant Pot/Electric Pressure Cooker!
Whole Chicken – size will vary, just make sure that it fits in your instant pot. Recipe was tested using a 6.3 lb chicken. 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tbsp olive oil
- Turn on the “brown/saute” feature on your Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker.
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oil together in a small bowl.
- Rub half of the seasoning mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into your pre-heated cooker, breast side down for 2-3 minutes, allowing the skin to crisp up. While the chicken is in the cooker, rub the remaining spice mixture over the bottom of the chicken.
- Using a large pair of tongs, carefully flip the chicken over to the other side and allow the bottom to crist for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a large platter.
- Add 3 cups chicken broth to the instant pot.
- Place metal instant pot trivet into the pot and carefully place chicken on the trivet.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure that it is locked in place.
- Using whatever settings your machine designates for meat, set the timer to 40 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is up, carefully allow the pressure valve to release steam. (This will take about 10 minutes.)
- Very carefully remove chicken to a platter. It will be very tender and likely to begin falling apart!
Do not be afraid if this recipe calls for more broth and a longer cooking time than you’ve found elsewhere. It really does make a perfect, moist, fall off the bone chicken!
Keywords: Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken