Our homes are meant to be a cozy haven for us to retreat to. And, while our homes can be the place we relax and renew in, they can also be a place that adds to our stress when it’s out of control. A quick assessment of your home is a great way to develop a plan to make your home feel cozy right away!
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
What’s Keeping Your Home Environment From Feeling Cozy?
Our homes are supposed to be the spaces we can collapse into and regenerate after a long day on the go. We have visions of our happy family gathered around the dinner table, cuddled up on the couch watching movies together, and tucked into warm welcoming beds when evening comes.
But, sometimes, for a variety of reasons, our homes can feel less than welcoming and actually cause us to feel stress and anxiety. What is supposed to be our safe haven from the outside world feels less than beckoning and the cozy factor is dulled or even gone completely.
What can you do about it? It can feel overwhelming, especially when you don’t know where to start. It may feel like there are just too many things you need to get under control.
The key to moving forward is not to panic. Think about creating a chaos-free, cozy home in the same way they say you should eat an elephant….one bite at a time. 🙂
Before creating a plan, you’ll need to figure out what your unique situation calls for by assessing your problem areas. Some problems keeping you from having a cozy home might include:
- Organizational Issues
- Storage issues
- Outdated décor and design
- Home maintenance – which includes cleaning
There IS a Solution to Making Your House Feel Comfortable
Your home is meant to be a safe and cozy retreat from the outside world. It should be a place that is comfortable and you can enjoy with your entire family.
You have a significant influence on how cozy your home feels. By keeping things organized, clean, and decorated with things you love, you can make sure your home is where your heart is. Everyone who enters will feel welcome and instantly relaxed.
Regardless of which parts of your home are causing you grief, there is a solution. Some you might be able to handle on your own, and others may require a professional (or some teamwork from your family). Regardless, you absolutely can turn your home into a place you love.
Assessing your House is the First Step to Making Your Home Cozy
Everyone wants a cozy home. If your own home isn’t making you feel comfy and relaxed, there’s a decent chance that you can remedy this simply by assessing what’s going on and making a few changes. Getting to the root cause of what’s keeping you from feeling “at home” in your home can make all the difference.
Assessing your home, one room at a time can help you figure out what’s happening to steal that cozy feeling you crave. Likely, there are one or more functionality issues at play:
- Lack of space to store your things
- Cluttered or messy areas that need cleaning
- Too much stuff crammed into too little space
- Maintenance issues – there are items that are broken or neglected and need attention
- Outdated spaces – décor and furnishings you no longer (or never did!) love
Anyone or a combination of these issues may be keeping you from loving your home.
The following steps will help you assess your home. Once you’ve done this, you can create a plan and get started on creating a cozy home you and your family will LOVE to come home to.
A good way to start is with your kitchen or living room, as these are often the rooms your family likely spends the most time in. You’ll see the biggest impact if you tackle those first.
Step 1 – Review the Room
- What do you like about the room?
- What don’t you like about the room?
Step 2 – Assess Functionality
- Is there enough storage?
- Are there any storage solutions you can think of that would make the room more functional?
Step 3 – Is Everything in Working Order?
- Is there anythign you need to replace or repair?
Step 4 – Does it Need to be Cleaned?
- Does the room need a deep clean or decluttering?
- Does it just need to be straightened and paid attention to a bit more?
- Is there anything in the room that you’re not using or doesn’t belong there that you can remove?
Step 5 – Is it Aesthetically Pleasing?
- Do you like the décor?
- Does the room need to be updated or remodeled?
- What would you change about the room if you could?
Step 6 – Create a Plan
- Develop an action plan to address any of the issues you discovered while assessing the room.
- Cleaning, purging, and organizing are usually the best places to start. This is generally free or inexpensive and gives you a quick win in your quest for a cozy room.
- Did you come up with any new décor ideas? Make a list of what you’d like to purchase now and in the future.
- Are there any major appliances that need to be replaced or repaired? Or that you’ll want to replace in the future? Start making plans to address this.
- Do you want to remodel? If so, start making those plans. But, if it isn’t in the very near future, don’t let your ideas for a future “dream room” get in the way of creating a cozy space for you and your family today.
Making a mindful assessment of your home can help you overcome obstacles and create the cozy space you want.
Be honest with yourself about what works…and doesn’t in each room. Then begin to solve the issues specific to each room.
Doing this one room at a time will not only keep it from becoming overwhelming, but as you see a space transformed in its entirety, it will keep you motivated to keep going through the rest of your house. Pretty soon, your home will begin to feel much cozier and be a better reflection of you and your family’s style.
More Ideas for Creating a Cozy Home
- Make Your House Feel Like a Resort for Your Family
- Your Ultimate Guide to Adding Hygge to Your Life and Home
- Flexible Meal Planning For Working Moms – How to Have Cozy Meals When You’re Busy
- How to Make a Very Cozy Bed
- How to Create Cozy Meals with Hygge
- Turn Your Living Room Into a Cozy Retreat
- Decorate Your Home with Hygge
- How to Hygge in the Winter
- Create a Cozy Hygge Kitchen
- Make Your Bedroom Cozy in Less Than an Hour