Are you wondering how to make your house feel cozy this fall? Here are ideas on how to incorporate Hygge elements to make your home cozy and inviting.
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
While most people associate Hygge with the winter months, I’ve always found fall to be the coziest season of all. The days (and nights) start to get cooler, the air is a little crisper, and you start to pull out your cozy sweaters and favorite leggings.
Fall is also the time of year to begin turning your home into a warm and cozy haven, as you’ll likely be spending more time indoors as the weather gets cooler.
What is Hygge?
Pronounced “hoo-gah”, Hygge does not have a direct correlation in the English language. At it’s most basic level, hygge is a practice that Danish people do in order to enjoy more in their life. I like to think of Hygge as creating a comfortable, cozy environment, relaxing, and living more simply and with lots of positivity in your life.
How Can I add Elements of Hygge to My Home This Fall?
Make Your House Feel Cozy and Warm
Hygge is all about being happy, comfortable, and positive – and the best way to achieve this by making your home as comfy and cozy as possible.
Fall is a great time to switch out your bright summer decorations for warm fall decorations. Add colors like red, yellow, orange and brown, which help to create a warm and cozy environment.
Add lots of throw pillows and soft blankets to your sofas and chairs, place soft rugs on the ground, and light candles, or use the fireplace when it gets cold.
Cook Your Favorite Comfort Foods
Now is your opportunity to incorporate fall spices like cinnamon and pumpkin you’re your recipes. I also highly recommend that you make this AMAZING Snickerdoodle Zucchini Bread. (It’s one of the most popular recipes on the blog AND in my house!)
Fall is the perfect time to turn on that oven and start cooking and baking, especially your favorite comfort foods!
Or, try to think about the foods you enjoyed as a child, the ones that always cheered you up. These are YOUR comfort foods and now is a great time to introduce these dishes to your kids and close friends.
How to Create Cozy Lighting in Your House In Fall
Soft, warm lighting is key to creating a Hygge feel. If you have bright lightbulbs in your home, a quick fix is to remove them and change them out with warmer, softer bulbs.
You can also add unscented candles (battery-operated work well, too!) and fairy lights to add additional soft, warm lighting touches. Using a combination of floor, table, and wall lamps will also give you a warmer feel than overhead lighting.
Share Your Welcoming Home & Comfort Food with Family and Friends!
As nice as a warm and cozy house is to snuggle up with a good book and relax in, Hygge isn’t just being home alone. It also involves spending quality time with others.
You could invite a close-knit group of friends over or plan a night in with your family. Here are a few ideas of Hygge activities to get you started:
- Host a casual dinner party
- Pick a movie everyone loves, pop some popcorn, and serve mulled cider
- Have a game night
- Create a buffet style dinner or a dinner made up completely of assorted appetizers
- Set up an epic charcuterie board (this book has the BEST ideas!)
- Make Carmel Apples (or enjoy this super YUMMY Carmel Apple Tea!)
- Learn a new skill with a MasterClass – Some of my absolute favorites are Alice Water’s Home Cooking Class and Kelly Wearstler’s Interior Design Class. Plus, I can’t wait to watch CJake Shimabukuro teach ‘Ukulele with my kids! There is honestly something for everyone here and has become of my favorite “go-to” activities with family and friends!
The most important thing is to enjoy these moments with the people you love most and appreciate your time together in your cozy surroundings!
More Posts to Help You Get Your Hygge On!
- 30 Ways to Cozy Up Your Home This Fall
- Hygge 101 – Everything You Need to Know About Hygge in a Nutshell
- Cozy Cooking – Hygge Your Kitchen, Menu, and Meal Prep!
- How to Make the Most Comfortable Bed in the Entire World
- Turn Your Living Room into a Cozy and Warm Sanctuary
- Want to Keep Your Towels Soft and Fluffy? Here’s How!