Get tips and tricks on how you can be intentional with your home decor – so your house is always warm, welcoming, and cozy.
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
Being intentional with the details of your home décor and the activities that take place there is an essential part of creating a cozy home. Keep reading for tons of ideas on how to make your house cozy and inviting.
There is a saying that love is in the details.
It means that how you show and express love for your family and friends is reflected in the details of your home. The special touches you add and the energy in your home will create a cozy feeling that everyone notices.
You can create a cozy, relaxing home by being intentional and thoughtful. Here are some simple ways to create a cozy home on purpose:
Be intentional with your design
Creating a cozy home includes comfy spaces that invite people to sit and stay awhile. Be intentional with your décor and furniture to create areas where people naturally gather to connect, play, or entertain themselves.
Check out these posts for ideas on how to create cozy, hygge spaces in your home:
- How to Create a Cozy Hygge Vibe in Your Home
- How to Hygge Your Kitchen
- Give Your Living Room a Cozy Hygge Makeover
- How to Make the Coziest Bed Ever
Be intentional with your lighting
Lighting is a wonderful way to create a cozy atmosphere. Ambient lighting or soft lighting can help make a home feel more comfortable.
- Use lamps instead of overhead lighting in unexpected places to keep the atmosphere peaceful and welcoming.
- Avoid fluorescent lighting when possible as it can be glaring.
- Add soft lighting with fairy lights or candles (either wick or battery-operated will work)
Be intentional with your messages
You can influence people subliminally with your décor and the messages it sends.
Hanging positive affirming statements on the walls or using décor with uplifting sayings can help your home feel cozier.
Be intentional with your scents
Did you know smell can influence mood?
Being intentional about how your home smells can affect the peace that people feel.
Whether you love the smell of freshly baked cookies or cotton sheets hung on the line, there are plenty of ways to fill your home with inviting scents.
Using candles, essential oils, fresh eucalyptus, or hypo-allergenic fragrances are all great ways to naturally add a fresh scent to your home.
Be intentional with your activities
Creating traditions is a wonderful way to bring coziness to your home.
The activities you take part in can make a lasting impact on your family. Intentional activities can be as simple as eating together at the table every night and talking about your day to making special dishes during the holidays. Handing down traditions is a beautiful way to build relationships and create memories.
Another way to make your home feel intentionally cozy is to recreate some of the experiences of a relaxing vacation inside your own home. Check out these posts on Making Your Home Staycation Worthy and Having a Home Spa Day for ideas.
Peace and love are represented in the details of your home. How you decorate, what you do for activities, and how you relate to your family all impact how cozy the environment is.
More Ideas for Creating a Cozy Home
- How to Create the Cozy Home You Crave
- The 3 Problems You Need to Solve for a Cozier Home
- 6 Steps to Turn Your House into a Cozy Space You’ll Love
- How to Make Your House Feel Like a Staycation Year Round
- Your Ultimate Guide to Adding Hygge to Your Life and Home
- How to Make a Very Cozy Bed
- Turn Your Living Room Into a Cozy Retreat
- How to Hygge in the Winter
- Create a Cozy Hygge Kitchen
- Make Your Bedroom Cozy in Less Than an Hour